Monday, September 18, 2006

Steaks On a Plane

This story came as a bit of a surprise to me, since I've never considered taking meat on board a plane. But apparently in Omaha, Nebraska, the company Omaha Steaks sells meat at the airport, and used to pack it on ice for customers to take on-board. But with new restrictions on liquids, ice is no longer allowed. Thus, Omaha Steaks has been forced to ship the meat to people's homes--at no cost; unless they're boarding short flights, in which case the steaks remain frozen for four to five hours. A seafood company in Florida devised a more ingenious strategy: packing lobster between packs of frozen vegetables, which aren't outlawed by the new restrictions. Wineries are now having to ship their product, because passengers can no longer carry-on easily broken bottles, though I've been known to cram bottles of wine into my checked luggage--packing them carefully between my clothes--and have yet to experience a disaster (though I admit to being anxious every time I do so--particularly when I've packed two-buck chuck between merino wool sweaters).

2 Comments:

Blogger Evan said...

ahh yes...the wine in suitcase trick...bubble wrap and tape works best.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Evan said...

here's a good question...would dry ice be outlawed, since it would never be in a liquid form? It sublimates to vapor at room temperature. Perhaps the new concern there would be the generation of high concentrations of CO2 in the cargo hold/cabin.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home