Sunday, August 20, 2006

NOOOOOO!!

...bear with me as I whine...

I knew the day was going to come eventually. It's been spreading like wildfire throughout the MBTA (Boston Subway) system since the beginning of the year. I could handle it the couple times a year I had to face it at the Airport Station. More recently, I had to contend with it more frequently, at other stations on the south and north ends of the Red Line. I never realized it would invade my own station this early on, however.

Well, it's too late. It's happened now. I stepped off the train at my destination station last Thursday night and immediately smelled plaster and paint. I climbed the steps to exit the station, dreading what I was about to see. The turnstiles have been ripped out of the station, the scars in the floor recently repaired.

The Charlie Card system has arrived at Hynes Convention Center/ICA. I'm not happy, not happy at all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Does this mean you have to buy a Charlie card? Or do you already have one?

6:25 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

Well, for the transition period, there is the "Charlie Ticket", which is durable cardboard card that is meant to be disposable, since not all turnstiles on the system are ready to read Charlie Cards. However, there will come a time when I will keep a Charlie Card in my wallet and keep adding to it as a debit card...however, these will be dispensed from automated machines. They aren't as thick as a credit card, but they are plastic and virtually indestructible.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Phlip said...

That's it, I'm outta here! :P

And speaking of the T, imagine this: while Friday's night's marathon Sox-Yanks game ran 4 hours 45 minutes (a record for a nine-inning game) until 12:52am, stranding those who failed to leave the game early to catch that last Green line train out of our dear old Fens, the new Metro in Houston actually had a live human being monitoring the stations and sent an extra train for straggling Astros fans after the 18-inning game against the Cubs on August 15th. There's some Southern hospitality for y'all. :) Too bad Houston rail proponents are still struggling to get a real system constructed.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home