Friday, August 25, 2006

Another flight evacuated...

...from The Boston Globe...

An Aer Lingus flight from New York/JFK to Dublin, Ireland, was evacuated at 2:50AM this morning due to a call to a Dublin police station that explosives were on board Aer Lingus Flight 112. The plane was at a scheduled stop at Shannon, Ireland, when authorities directed the plane to a remote location at the airport and ordered the plane evacuated. Luggage was rescreened, and no explosive materials were found in parcels or on the plane. The 112 passengers were being sent to their destinations on another flight.

One spokesperson notes that the evacuation was not a major event, as the plane was scheduled to stop at Shannon, anyway. Still, this is yet another reminder that travel between Europe and the United States these days may involve a little more than simply traveling from point A to point B.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Wow, you're staying ahead of me. I was just getting ready to post on this when I found yours. Thanks! You wonder how many such incidents will occur in the coming months. It really makes one think twice about flying internationally--not b/c of the danger, but b/c of the hassle.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Quiche said...

Many of my friends who are Europeanists are having to do research now. But I guess they can't take a ship--I'd still rather fly. I get sea-sick.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Yeah, I'll take my risk with any flight before I'll board a ship. I get sea sickness very easily, and medications to combat it--like Dramamine--are even worse. I an barely function under their influence.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home